Family law proceedings can be expensive, long and emotionally distressing. From child custody agreements to divorce and property settlement disputes, the consequences that arise from these proceedings are long lasting and of utmost importance for all parties involved. It is essential that you find the very best Penrith family lawyers who have the necessary experience and skills to represent, guide and assist you. Here’s what to look out for when choosing the best family lawyers in Penrith to resolve your family disputes.
What Issues do Family Lawyers Deal With?
Family lawyers handle legal issues that concern family members. These are typically issues that are included, but not limited to, the following areas of expertise:
- Divorce proceedings
- Child custody agreements
- Child support disputes
- Property disputes
- Prenuptial agreements
- Relationship agreements for cohabiting and same-sex couples
Aside from finalising agreements, family lawyers may act as mediators when family disagreements arise. They can also represent litigants if the family conflict ends up going to court. Your Penrith family lawyer will be an invaluable aid to advise you on how to make the next steps to resolve your family dispute.
Where Can I Find Out More About Australian Family Law?
There is a wealth of information available about Australian family law online. While this information cannot replace the services of a dedicated family lawyer, you may wish to take a look at some previous cases and rulings in the databases provided by the Australasian Legal Information Institute. You can search by subject on their site, selecting “family law”.
Family cases in most of Australia are heard by the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia, except for cases in Western Australia, which are heard by the specialist Family Court of Western Australia. Australian law requires separating families with children to try to seriously resolve their dispute over custody through family dispute resolution before filing for parenting orders in court. For more information about Australian family law, the Australian Government Attorney General’s Department has a dedicated informational page.
You should bear in mind that family courts have a large amount of discretion when reaching a decision. No two cases will ever be identical, hence why you will need independent legal advice from an experienced Penrith family lawyer with in-depth knowledge of how the courts approach and determine complex family law issues.
The best way to get advice about your particular situation is to contact Penrith family lawyers directly. Your local Penrith law firm can set up a meeting with their experts in family law.
Do I Need a Family Lawyer?
Even if you are currently experiencing more of a family disagreement than an actual dispute, things can always escalate. Consulting a legal expert in family law early on can help you to save time and financial outlay. Your Penrith family lawyer can also help to facilitate your agreements with other family members. Unfortunately, some people are reluctant to visit a lawyer. You should not have any misgivings about seeking legal advice and better understanding your rights.
Family law is complicated and a lot is at stake, both emotionally and financially. Enlisting the help of a skilled Penrith family lawyer will be an invaluable aid to help you to secure your rights. Even if you do not think that you require the service of a family lawyer today, if you are experiencing any potential issues we recommend that you contact a Penrith family lawyer without delay to arrange a preliminary consultation. As the saying goes forewarned is forearmed.
How to Choose the Best Family Lawyers in Penrith
Choosing the right Penrith Family Lawyer is an important step towards resolving your problems and moving on with your life. You will want to look out for a Penrith family lawyer who ideally fulfils the following criteria:
- Practises exclusively in family law – your lawyer will need to be a dedicated family law expert to give you the best advice for your circumstances.
- Has taken on similar cases – as previously mentioned, no two cases are ever identical, but you should be on the lookout for a family lawyer who has taken on similar cases before and won.
- Gets down to the complex issues – anyone can talk a good job, you’ll want to hear about the complexities of your cases and how your lawyer interprets them and intends to present them.
- Has the time to deal with your case – while it is not unusual for family lawyers to be extremely busy, your Penrith family lawyer should be easy to contact and responsive during normal working hours. Phone calls should be returned promptly and your lawyer should act proactively.
- Provides clear explanations of the court process – your family lawyer should explain the court process to you in detail, leaving you with no doubts as to your next steps and how your case will be presented.
- Is sympathetic and discreet – family law is often wrought with emotion and the stakes are generally high for all parties involved. Your lawyer will need to be sympathetic and discreet as well as professional.
- Regularly appears in family courts – your family lawyer should regularly appear in court and be on top of their game and ready to represent you and your interests should it prove necessary.
- Clear communication on fees and billing – your lawyer should be clear upfront on the costs involved and let you know how you will be billed.
In an ideal world, we would be able to work out mutually beneficial solutions to all of our problems. In this dog-eat-dog world, this is very seldom the case. Family disputes and relationship breakdowns should always be accompanied by discreet legal advice. Don’t leave your future to chance, find out your legal rights today with a free phone consultation with the Penrith family law experts at Maatouks Law Group. Our non-judgmental and highly skilled team has the experience that you need to protect your rights so you can progress and rebuild your life. Do not delay, obtaining legal advice should be your number one priority.