How to Change Your Status From TPs to a Green Card

by | Dec 29, 2022 | Uncategorized | 0 comments

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a temporary immigration status granted to individuals from certain countries who cannot safely return to their home country due to armed conflict, environmental disaster, or other extraordinary and temporary conditions. If you have TPS, you may be able to adjust your status to that of a lawful permanent residence (also known as a “green card” holder) if you are eligible. Here are some steps you can take to change from TPS to a green card:

Determine if You Are Eligible to Adjust Your Status to a Green Card

To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have been physically present in the United States for at least one year before the date you apply to adjustment of status.
  • You must have resided in the United States for at least three years while in TPS.
  • You must not have abandoned your TPS status by failing to timely re-register for TPS holders or by leaving the United States while you were in TPS.

Determine if You Are Eligible for a Green Card Through a Family Member or Employer.

  1. You may be able to adjust your status to a green card if you have a qualifying family relationship with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or if you have an employer who is willing to sponsor you for a green card.
  2. File Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This is the primary form you will need to complete to apply for a green card. You will also need to submit supporting documents and pay the required fees as indicated by immigration law.
  3. Attend a biometrics appointment. After you file your Form I-485, you will be scheduled for a biometrics appointment at a nearby U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. At the appointment, you will need to have your fingerprints, photograph, and signature taken.
  4. Attend an interview. After your biometrics appointment, you may be scheduled for an interview with a USCIS officer. The interview is an opportunity for the officer to verify the information you provided in your Form I-485 and ask additional questions about your application.
  5. Wait for a decision on your application. After your interview, the officer will review your application and decide whether to grant or deny your request to adjust your status to a green card. If your application is approved, you will receive your green card. If your application is denied, you may be able to appeal the decision or file a motion to reopen or reconsider.

Note: The process of changing from a TPS recipients to a green card can be complex and may vary depending on your circumstances. It is recommended that you consult with an immigration attorney or accredited representative for more information and to ensure that you are following the correct steps.

While changing from a granted TPS to a green card can be complex and time-consuming, it is possible with the right preparation and guidance and to have the certainty of homeland security. It is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements for the category you are applying under and gather all required documents and fees before submitting your application. If you are scheduled for an interview of immigration law, it is important, to be honest, and accurate in your responses and to bring all of the required documents with you. By following these steps, you can successfully change your permanent resident status from TPS to a green card and enjoy the benefits of permanent residence in the United States.

The immigration law can be interpreted by a knowledgeable person such as a lawyer expert in the subject, contact your trusted lawyer for the resolution of all your questions.

Get Immigration Help Now!


1234 Divi St. #1000, San Francisco, CA 94220


(255) 352-6258


Schedule Your Free Consultation